Saturday, May 1, 2010

A new medicine

I went to the doc on Thursday because I've been having issues with my brain and pain meds not working as well as they should. We are going to try me on Savella, which is the latest drug that has been approved for fibro. According to the leaflet that comes with the med, the ONLY thing it's used for is fibro - that's a change! What I didn't know is that it is a titration pack to start - I hate those. Easing into a drug should be easier - why would I hate something that does that for me? Well, because it means that instead of the side effects being gone in a few days (typically) I'm going to have them for probably close to 2 weeks since the dosage keeps increasing. There's also no generic, because it's so new, so even with my insurance it's going to cost $45 a month just for this med alone! At least it takes place of two meds (which, together, were less than $20...)!

So far we've got nausea, dizziness, irritability. About par for the course - if something has those side effects, I'm going to get them...same with sleepiness. I also feel like I'm choking, which happens if my clothes get too close to my neck...only they aren't. I just feel like it from time to time. *deep breath* If it works, it will all be worth it.

Doc is also going to send me to a rheumatologist. He feels he is reaching the end of what he can do for me. I feel bad for him - he's done so much for me over the years and it must suck to have to admit that you're out of options for a patient. Don't get me wrong - he's still my go-to doc for everything else! I followed this doc from clinic to clinic - I'm not leaving now. I just want...well, not fixed but better than I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment