Friday, June 18, 2010

Update from Doc

I've been remiss in posting. I have been occupied with other things. It occurred to me, however, that I should update you on the results of last weeks meeting with the rheumatologist (who shall henceforth be known as Dr. L, because it's much shorter) and getting my test results back.

You know it's not a good thing when the first two sentences out of his mouth after greeting you are "Well, you have the lowest Vitamin D level I've seen in a long time. And interestingly enough, your ultrasound..." at which point my brain began spinning and I had a hard time hearing the rest. Turns out there is indeed fluid in the bones of my wrists. They aren't going to do anything about that right now, which probably means there isn't much and that it's probably related to new issue #2: I have arthritis in the base of my spine. Technically it's called Spondyloarthropathy. There are several different things under this umbrella, and I have a call in to find out EXACTLY what I have. Fibro fog was kicking my ass the day he told me all this, and my brain was screaming at me, so I really didn't process much.

I am now on a drug called sulfasalazine for the arthritis. I was vastly amused at Dr. L when he asked if we were trying to conceive. I informed him that no, we were infertile. He looked a little surprised and then relieved, as he proceeded to tell me that was good because this drug would make me infertile. HA! Even if I wasn't already I am now! It's reversible, though, which also amused me and got me to thinking: If this is suppressing my fertility, if I ever go off it will my fertility go into overdrive? Will I end up getting pregnant at 33 like my mother predicted? That means some time this year, of course, since I turn 33 on Sunday. If she's right, though, I am seriously taking my pee-stick and marching my ass down to the cemetery and scolding her for being right...again.

Also on the list of side effects? Orange skin. There is a possibility that this drug will make me into an Oompa-Loompa! My friends will be happy, me not so much. Oh well - roll with the punches, yeah?

At any rate, that's what's going on. I really do have a list of syndromes and diseases as long as my arm. I'm to the point where I can't even remember them all, but at least most of them are linked and at least 2 of them have the same treatment. Once I know more from the docs office I will try to remember and post the results.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully some of the new discoveries will at least provide some relief! Good luck!

    (And a pregnancy...that would be a good surprise, right? I'll just commence hoping for that one...)

    ReplyDelete